The Parement Chamber
The Parement Chamber is located in the eastern wing of the private apartments above the Jesus Hall. It is the antechamber to the Pope’s chamber, which are on the North side.
This term « parement » describes for all the tapestries that decorated the walls and seating. Later on, the Parement Chamber was called the «Parade Chamber».
The room was originally covered by a wood-panelled, barrel-vaulted ceiling, similar to the one in the Grand Tinel, which was also destroyed by fire in 1413. There was a fireplace, an altar, two seats and two wrought-iron candelabras. The Pope sat on a dais underneath a canopy. On the eastern wall, vestiges of the trompe-l’œil decoration give insight into how the room’s rich murals must have looked like.
The Parement Chamber underwent extensive alterations over the centuries as the marks on the walls show.
The Pope and the cardinals held secret consistories here. Important figures were also given audiences here.
|AVIGNON TOURISME 2009 | TOUS DROITS DE REPRODUCTION RESERVES|