NOTRE-DAME DES DOMS
North of the palace, the present cathedral is a magnificent example of Roman influence on the Romanesque Provençl style. It wa built in the 12th century on the siteof a paleo-Christian basilica and an earlier edifice, consecrated in 1069.
Modified many times over the centuries, the bishop’s church was less imposing originally than it is today. The Roman influence is seen everywhere.
L'HÔTEL DES MONNAIES (The Mint)
Its richly ornamented façade contrasts with the austerity of the Papal Palace. The legate Cafarelli-Borghese reigned over the palace when vice-legate Jean-François de Bagni decided to build it in 1619. The Mint takes its name from the coin minting workshop that is must have housed.
Two winged gerfalcons, flanked by two eagles, watch over the Palace Square from the top of the balustrade. Just above, two angels frame a coat of arms while lions hold a profusion of sculpted fruits and vegetables in relief in their jaws. The eagle and gerfalcon are the emblem of the Borghese, the family of the Pope reigning at the time, Paul V, and his legate nephew.
LE PETIT PALAIS (The small Palace)
With its crenelated façade and its double row of Renaissance windows, the present museum of the Small Palace elegantly closes off the north end of the Palace Square.
|AVIGNON TOURISME 2009 | TOUS DROITS DE REPRODUCTION RESERVES|