The gardens of the Palace of the Popes constitute a new attraction for the visitor, opening up a space for relaxation and allowing a better understanding of the whole of the Palace of the Popes, an exceptional Historic Monument listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Jardin du Pape and the Jardin du Palais join the Orchard Urbain V, inaugurated on September 14, 2018, and freely accessible to the public, to complete the triptych of the Gardens of the Palais des Papes.
The new pontifical gardens are integrated into the tour of the monument. This redevelopment is structured in two areas: the Jardin du Palais (or Jardin Benoît XII, 1250 m2) and the Jardin du Pape (662 m2). The XNUMXth century hydraulic network was chosen as the structuring element of the design of the Garden of the Palace, delimiting the large rectangles where Mediterranean plant species attested in the XNUMXth century are planted in these pontifical gardens.
The Pope's garden is an intimate garden, which had direct access from the Pope's apartments. The redevelopment gives it back its precious character with the re-creation of the griffin fountain as well as the flowery meadow that surrounded it. The famous and imposing Roma building, of which only a trace remains, has been reconstructed in the form of a monumental pergola which will eventually be completely covered with plants. A restoration undertaken by the City of Avignon and Avignon Tourism with the support of the State, the DRAC, the Southern Region, the Crédit Agricole Foundation and the L'Occitane Foundation.
Note : The gardens of the Palais des Papes close to visitors 30 minutes before the monument closes. Your Histopad does not contain information about this part of the route.